Wednesday, November 7, 2007

8 (Other) Random Thoughts About My Kitchen


Sarah tagged me to write eight random thoughts about my kitchen, which is technically her kitchen. But I do visit it occasionally ...

1) We have two whole shelves devoted to nothing but tea, from Orange Dulce to Rooibos Chai. One day a few years back, we decided to become tea people, and have stocked up on the stuff ever since. We have black tea, green tea, white tea, red tea, tisanes ("teas" made without actual tea leaves ... basically anything floral or herbal or whatever), and a bundle of dried plants that Sarah calls "Greek Mountain Tea," though I've never seen her use it to make a drink.

2) Our freezer is stocked with Otter Pops. There's not much else to say about this one, aside from the personal slogan I developed for the product in college: "Otter Pops ... That's something my body needs anyway."

3) I keep the clock on the microwave set 10 minutes fast. For some reason, I enjoy looking at a clock and knowing that it's not really as late as the clock says it is.

4) When I was but a fresh-faced young lad, my dad cooked me pancakes practically every Saturday morning (and other times too, but the Saturdays were the best), and I've unofficially adopted Saturday mornings as the times I cook breakfast for Sarah. She--ahem--doesn't really like pancakes, but she does like scrambled eggs and omelets, so I oblige by making scrambled eggs and omelets that turn into scrambled eggs. I'm just not good at making omelets, but I still try.

5) When I cook, I cool by smell. This is not technically a thought limited to my kitchen in particular, but it's close enough. Sarah cooks by what "feels right." I use my nose, mainly for spices.

6) We have several different types of cheese graters, and since I enjoy grating cheese--it's so satisfying to watch that pile grow!--I'm almost always the one who shreds our cheddar or Monterey Jack or Gouda or what-have-you . My grater of choice features four sides, each with a different grating option, but I only ever use one side.

7) We have a cabinet in which we keep all manner of liquors (Kahlua, Irish cream, etc.), but I keep a few bottles used most often on top of the refrigerator: vodka, rum, and Scotch (which I drink neat).

8) I have long been fascinated by empty glass bottles, and our kitchen window sill is lined with samples of all shapes and sizes. There used to be more bottles, but I broke one or two when closing the window once.

Now, I tag Bret. And James Van Lommel, if he ever sees this.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

According to Verison time (and really, what other time is there) the clock in our kitchen is 14 minutes fast. I think Ryan adds a minute every time he changes the clocks for daylight savings.

Andrea Rooks said...

Until daylight-saving time, all three clocks in our kitchen said a different time, varying from five to 10 minutes fast... Bret seemed to hate it. I just learned to look at the most accurate one (which was on our new stove). Now they're all about the same...

(I notified Bret that he's hereby tagged. I'm curious to read what he'll say about our kitchen.)

Anonymous said...

For Christmas I would like a blog of my own. First I need a really good name for it.

A long time ago, I think Sarah tried to play stump Auntie Carleen by asking for Myzithra for her pasta. I was really happy that I happened to have a wedge for her to grate. It is one of my faves.

Now, I just happen to have some black squid ink pasta in my pasta box. Is that a gene link or a coincidence? I was thinking New Year's Eve though. Gold and black and glitter--I should have been more realistic--Glamour & Glitz(with capital Gs) are not really part of my life. Love the eyeballs.

Love,
Auntie C

Flo Paris said...

Well, if Sarah won't eat the pancakes, we will!
We'll be there this Saturday at 8am.

Karl said...

Good post Ryan. But I have to correct you on something. In #6, you pronounced gouda "goo-da." It's actually pronounced "how-da." It's okay, it's a common mistake.

And common mistakes are half the battle.

Gombojav Tribe said...

If Gana blogged about our kitchen it would be:

1. Honey, where do we keep the measuring cups?

2. Babe, where is the pepper?

3. Do you know where the cork-screw is?

and so on....

...even though everything has been in the same place since we moved to this house almost a year ago.