Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ghoulish Dinner

In our excitement to finally live in a house where we might get trick-or-treaters we stayed home and invited friends over for Halloween this year. While we only had two knocks at the door all night, I had a wonderful time preparing a spooky dinner.


Ryan and I have long established Halloween as a gift-giving holiday (I think we just like excuses to get each other presents). This year, Ryan gave me my gift a little early so that I would have time to figure out how to prepare it. My gift was squid ink pasta. It looks and tastes like regular spaghetti, but it is made black using squid ink. Inspired by his gift, I gave myself the culinary challenge of creating an all-black meal. It was quite a success!

Here was our menu:
Appetizers (in the photo above): black grapes, porter soaked cheddar cheese with pumpernickel toasts, spiderweb eggs (below), and pumpkin seeds.


Dinner: Squid ink pasta with pesto, prosciutto, and mozarella-and-olive "eyeballs," salad, bread, and a blood-red black currant and brandy cocktail (I tried desperately to find black vodka for the occasion, but apparently it is on back order at the two stores in town that carry it).


Dessert: Pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (my first baking from scratch since before I was pregnant with Hattie), and Trader Joe's ice cream sandwiches rolled in mini-chocolate chips. I probably could have done better creating a black dessert, but I was more focused on the dinner foods.

The evening was rounded out by watching the original Night of the Living Dead, in black and white, of course!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing Halloween foods! You really should write a cookbook for special occasion delicacies. I especially like the eyeball-albeit marble- hardboiled egg (Great picture by the way). It can translate to many occasions! Mrs. Sarah Jane Miller you are a culinary wiz (or wizard in this case!) I Love You- Mom

Gombojav Tribe said...

I like how you labelled this post "zombies" as if there will many posts in that category that it needs it's own tag. :-)

Andrea Rooks said...

It was a wonderfully spookily delicious dinner and evening. I'm glad you documented the occasion...