Sunday, March 15, 2009

Hospital Highlights

Sarah and I recently spent a lot of time in the hospital. I was there to keep her company and make sure she was getting the best care possible. She was there because she couldn't stop throwing up and had to have a constant stream of fluids via IV.

While at the hospital, I kept a notebook documenting what medications she was receiving and when, as well as her vital signs and various other details. It came in handy on more than one occasion. I also used it to jot down bits of overheard conversation and funny anecdotes. Since she's been home for more than a week (keeping food down, hooray!), I decided to look back over my notes. Among them:

* If one more person says we need to let the virus run its course, I'm going to punch someone.

* From the next bed over, where fiftysomething children comfort their paper-frail mother: "Mom, we're going to put you down," said gently, kindly (referring to the position of the bed).

* son to nurse: "She has a flap of skin on her lip. Do you have any scissors?"

* the woman in the next bed is watching a cartoon: "They have to have monsters in everything these days."

* One nurse has scrubs with multi-ethnic angels flying everywhere: "Happiness is being an angel." Appropriate?

* It's emesis, like "nemesis," not emesis, like "the Jesus."

* Sarah explains about a hypnobirthing-friendly hospital to a nurse. Nurse's response: "Really? Damn!"

* nurse to Sarah: "I'm going to get you some pillows. We're going to make you so comfortable, you're never going to want to throw up!"

* I noticed the TV in Sarah's room is labeled "Type B Equipment."

* Sarah had a dream about a hotel clubhouse with jacuzzi toilets you sat in and went. Then they drained and refilled and you could relax in them.

5 comments:

Andrea Rooks said...

Awesome... You've got the gift of being able to observe the humor in every situation, write it down, and share it with the world. (It sounds easy when I put it like that, but I know it's not!)

Sarah said...

I would have said the same thing as that nurse.

Anonymous said...

What, the "so comfortable you're never going to want to throw up" or the "Really? Damn!" part.

Honestly Ryan, I can't believe you didn't take a week off of work to recoup from all that time in the hospital.

Gombojav Tribe said...

So did the nurse give the kid the scissors to surgically remove the flap of skin on his mother's lip??? LOL!

So sorry you were throwing up, Sarah! Yucky! Hope you are better now.

grandmasue said...

Hey Sir- you should write a book!