Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Everything old is new again

My dad announced that he had a surprise waiting for our new baby, so when Hattie was born, he gave us a "Happy Birthday" bag with his handiwork inside: A crocheted yellow blanket with a silk border. To the untrained eye, such a gift may seem like a typical baby present, but this particular item was unique for two reasons. The first: My dad crocheted the blanket himself, and my mom added the silk edge. The second: The blanket is a replica of Yellow Blankie, the essential bit of cloth that I clung to, Linus like, all through childhood. And junior high. And high school. And maybe a little in college. After almost three decades of constant wear and tear, Yellow Blankie was looking a bit worse for the wear. But now, there's a new blankie to carry the next generation of the Miller clan through her formative years. And maybe into her time as an undergrad. Thanks, Dad. (And Mom!)

2 comments:

Janet said...

Ohmygosh Ryan... I didn't realize how much alike we were... I had a yellow blankie when I was growing up too... (of course, mine was not crocheted for me by my dad... but I guess maybe that's not my fault). Mine looks about like yours - and yes, it was a constant companion through those tough teen years for me as well. Give lots of love to those girls of yours! Cousin Janet

Gombojav Tribe said...

HOW SPECIAL!

My daddy sewed a little outfit for me when I was a baby. We dug it out and put Meg in it for pictures when she was a baby.